Reflecting on 2019 & Preparing for 2020
As the year draws to a close, it’s important to reflect on the happenings of the past 12 months and take the lessons that we’ve learned into the New Year.
2019 has certainly been an eventful year for the British population, so here’s a reminder of some key events that have taken place…
In Sport, many momentous occasions occurred. While plenty of glory was achieved, new eras ensued for some:
- The England Cricket team won the World Cup
- The England Rugby team were World Cup Runners-Up
- England Women reached the semi-final of the FIFA World Cup
- Lewis Hamilton won his 6th Formula 1 World Driver’s Championship
- Liverpool beat Tottenham Hotspur in the UEFA Champions League Final
- Dina Asher-Smith became the first Briton to win three medals at the IAAF World Championships
- Anthony Joshua’s unbeaten record came to an end; losing his WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, and IBO titles before winning them back in a rematch.
- Bury F.C were expelled from the English Football League due to financial difficulties
- And former Tennis World No.1 Sir Andy Murray OBE announced his retirement
On another note, there was of course… the P word:
- Theresa May resigned as Prime Minister
- Boris Johnson became our 3rd Prime Minister in less than 4 years
- Abortion was decriminalised in Northern Ireland
- Prince Andrew stepped down from public duties
- We had our second snap election in 2 years
- Scotland are likely to have a second referendum on leaving the UK
- And the new PM found an answer to one of the UK’s most divisive topics of debate…
Does the fridge light stay on when you close the door?
Although he’s yet to share the full details with us, it’s almost safe to say we’ve reached a conclusion…
an eventful year, indeed!
So, in the world of business, technology and marketing, how has 2019 influenced the year ahead and what are the key things to look out for?
Business & Marketing Tips for 2020
Capitalise on Digital Marketing towards the younger demographic
Internet usage continues to increase, as it becomes evermore essential to society as a whole. The youth of today are becoming more reliant on digital platforms as they begin to make up for more of the consumer market. Ensure that you have a digital solution for your business’ marketing in place!
Optimise for Voice Search
With the rise of smart speakers, like Alexa, it is predicted that roughly half of all internet searches will be made through voice search next year! Make sure your business can be found online through this method.
Update your Analysis & Reporting
Digital solutions to analysis & reporting are becoming more essential to business. Take a look at Google Data Studio to utilise alongside Google Analytics or any other platform you’re currently using.
Adapt for the Green Market
Take any opportunity you can to make your product or service more sustainable, consumer demand for eco-friendly products is rising!
Artificial Intelligence is making all kinds of services more personalised, saving time and providing convenience for consumers. No doubt, AI will influence the World’s economy over the coming decade; using this technology prudently could make a huge difference to your business!
As online shopping continues to thrive, there is a massive opportunity to create business online – it is vital that brick & mortar retailers don’t ignore this trend!
All in all, we at Plan B hope for a happy and prosperous New Year to all and wish everybody a Merry Christmas.